CO2-Avatar: Support for THE CLIMATE BET and #StopFossil
Protesting for better climate protection and saving CO2 at the same time: That was the CLIMATE BET 2021 under the patronage of Prof. Dirk Messner, President of the Federal Environment Agency. The goal was to save one million tons of CO2 by the time of the World Climate Conference in Glasgow on November 1, 2021. In the end, 12,593 participants saved a total of 20,072 tons of CO2, of which 6,003 tons of CO2 were saved with the CO2-Avatar through simple immediate measures.
Even if the big goal was not reached: More than 10,000 people implemented their personal contribution to the Paris climate protection agreement. The cities Backnang and Renningen have also won the municipal CLIMATE BET. Congratulations!
For further action in 2022 the App supports the #StopFossil Campaign.
General Information about the CO2-Avatar App
The CO2-Avatar is used to record and reduce the carbon-footprint on a personal or company level. It was developed to support the CO2COMPASS program. Targets according to the Paris Climate Agreement are set on the individual level, as a representation and comparison with targets set by groups, or e.g. as municipal annual target values. The aim is to make climate protection measurable for citizens, municipalities, administrations and companies.
The CO2-Avatar is under construction to serve as the non-profit open-source CO2 footprint applicationon on the sustainable data platform. The app collects personal data according to the principle of data minimization. Measured values and information on climate protection actions and associated costs are treated free of economic or political self-interest in accordance with the spd code and self-image and are not passed on to third parties. This does not apply to non-personal data, which is used anonymously for decarbonization (Open Data).
- Support teamwork in communities and groups to achieve carbon neutrality
- The app measures achievements in the areas of living, mobility, consumption and nutrition, as well as infrastructure and work. The exact carbon footprint can first be recorded for the areas of housing or buildings and car mobility. The evaluation here is based on actual consumption values based on meter and billing data.
- Valid data can be used for data-based political demands, also by local authorities vis-à-vis the state and federal government, and e.g. for a financial incentive system in the future.
- Evaluation routines are open and are continuously adapted to the current scientific status. Collaborative development is open source and open data.
- Data processing and storage are free of individual economic or political interests and subject to the highest level of data protection.
- With regard to the handling of data, the self-image and the code of the sustainable data platform apply.