CO2-Avatar supports THE CLIMATE BET and CO2COMPASS program
The CLIMATE BET offers a playful introduction to the interaction of CO2 savings and worldwide solidarity in the fight against the climate crisis. It serves as a “training” for the personal implementation of the Paris climate protection goals. Because in order to meet them, we must learn to reduce our CO2 footprint by one ton of CO2 every year.
With the CO2-Avatar, non-valid data is collected for a one-time action in the course of the CLIMATE BET, which only indicates an order of magnitude of the summary CO2 savings. The regular CO2-Avatar use aims at the collection and processing of valid data.
General Information about the CO2-Avatar
The CO2-Avatar is used to record and reduce the carbon-footprint on a personal or company level. It was developed to support the CO2COMPASS program. Targets according to the Paris Climate Agreement are set on the individual level, as a representation and comparison with targets set by groups, or e.g. as municipal annual target values. The aim is to make climate protection measurable for citizens, municipalities, administrations and companies.
The CO2-Avatar is under construction to serve as the non-profit open-source CO2 footprint applicationon on the sustainable data platform. The app collects personal data according to the principle of data minimization. Measured values and information on climate protection actions and associated costs are treated free of economic or political self-interest in accordance with the spd code and self-image and are not passed on to third parties. This does not apply to non-personal data, which is used anonymously for decarbonization (Open Data) and is passed on to CLIMATE BET, e.g. sorted by postal code.
- Support teamwork in communities and groups to achieve carbon neutrality
- The app measures achievements in the areas of living, mobility, consumption and nutrition, as well as infrastructure and work. The exact carbon footprint can first be recorded for the areas of housing or buildings and car mobility. The evaluation here is based on actual consumption values based on meter and billing data.
- Valid data can be used for data-based political demands, also by local authorities vis-à-vis the state and federal government, and e.g. for a financial incentive system in the future.
- Evaluation routines are open and are continuously adapted to the current scientific status. Collaborative development is open source and open data.
- Data processing and storage are free of individual economic or political interests and subject to the highest level of data protection.
- With regard to the handling of data, the self-image and the code of the sustainable data platform apply.
The app will be available from Mai 2021 (German version V 0.3)